Under the supervision of the CFO, the Director of Finance analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial results to ensure the achievement of short- and long-term financial goals. As a key member of the Finance team, the Finance Director will collaborate with management to assist in delivering comprehensive, consistent and actionable analysis in support of the creation and maintenance of the long-range financial plan, SEC requirements, continuous improvement activities aimed to maximize profitability. Additional responsibilities include developing and implementing policies and procedures pursuant to GAAP and internal control requirements.
Essential Job Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Responsible for the preparation of 10-Q, 10-K and other SEC filings including financial statements, footnote disclosures and MD&A to ensure timely and accurate filings;
- Review and/or participate in the preparation of quarterly press releases, scripts for quarterly earnings call, annual proxy statements, debt prospectuses, and other documents filed with the SEC and/or other regulatory agencies;
- Monitor and perform disclosure controls in connection with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and assist the Disclosure Committee which oversees such controls;
- Ensure financial statements are consistent with U.S. GAAP and SEC rules, including newly issued and emerging pronouncements;
- Assistance with quarterly and annual Earnings Release, Investor Decks and other outside communications as appropriate;
- Perform technical accounting analyses and resolution of complex accounting transactions related to potential new acquisitions, investments, non-controlling interests, derivatives and hedging, among others;
- Support month end closings, including the preparation of complex accounting entries and reconciliations;
- Assist in the coordination of annual and quarterly review activities of external auditor requests;
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and position papers. As part of this effort, lead the implementation and research of new accounting pronouncements and SEC rules and provide technical accounting support to the organization;
- Supervise accounting for debt, certain equity investments; stock-based compensation and equity journal entries;
- Assist with acquisitions and perform purchase accounting as needed;
- Responsible for the technical analysis of the effects of implementation of all newly issued guidance, including comparative analysis of implementation impact;
- Development and implementation of finance and accounting policies as applicable including coordinating feedback amongst various stakeholders across the organization;
- Mentor, train and supervise accounting staff including AP, AR, and Accountants;
- Perform other duties as assigned;
- Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature and workshops;
- Integrity: Establish and maintain honest, effective relationships with employees at all levels in the organization and gain their trust and respect. Accessible, a good listener and put others at ease at all times. Develop a reputation for being dependable, sincere, and trustworthy. Adapt to change and shift gears comfortably.
- Innovation: Develop new ideas and suggest new visions for the company. Take a creative approach to implemented business policies. Have self-knowledge and confidence to communicate, listen and persuade colleagues to improve the company on all levels.
- Initiative: Work independently, work under pressure and meet deadlines. Prepare clear and concise reports without the need for constant management. Combine analysis, experience and judgment to make good decision in a timely manner. Tenacity to make important decisions with limited information and tight deadlines while learning to be flexible in other situations.
- Intelligence: Utilize relevant experience and resources to be very productive and efficient in planning and executing work. Orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal. Seek input and advice from colleagues in order to receive more successful results pertaining to reports and projects. Focus on the achievement of goals that produce results.
- Interaction: Build morale and motivate the team with energy, encouragement and enthusiasm. Recognize solutions for difficult or conflict situations—seeking feedback on how to resolve issues. Distinguish the need to change the personal and interpersonal behavior of colleagues in an efficient matter. Eagerness to be part of a team-unit and cooperate in the accomplishment of departmental goals and objectives.
- 10+ years’ work experience in Accounting and/or Financial Reporting with a track record of managing the Accounting process;
- 6+ years’ experience working for/with SEC registrant companies in a financial reporting or external audit capacity;
- Experience in performing technical accounting research and presenting findings to senior management and working with public accounting firms to resolve technical accounting issues;
- Possesses strong analytic and communication skills (both written and verbal) with experience in presenting ideas/concepts to senior-level management;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; Master’s Degree preferred
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- CPA required
- Equipment: PC, scanners, modem, facsimile machine, computerized voice mail and e-mail systems, and common office machines.
- Software: Windows, MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), NetSuite, QuickBooks, AccountEdge
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Demands
On a continuous basis, sit at desk for a long period of time; intermittently answer telephone and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means. Some walking and lifting up to 20 lbs. may be required. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to communicate with supervisor in order to prioritize workload and determine priorities. Subjected to changes in schedule.
- Travel up to 10% of the time.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Director of Finance”